Food and Function (2015)
- This study used a mouse model of hyperlipidemia to examine the impact of elderberry supplementation in diet.
- Elderberry supplement was made by Artemis International.
- They found that AST and fasting glucose levels were reduced, as was CCL2 (cytokine) levels.
- Total cholesterol in the aorta was also reduced and there was less atherosclerosis progression.
- The authors concluded that the impact of elderberry on HDL cholesterol levels might be through its affect on gene expression.
- The dosage with an effect was determined to be 200 mg / kg body weight, which translates to ~75 g for a 70 kg (154 lb) person.