Effect of Elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) Extract Supplementation in STZ-Induced Diabetic Rats Fed with a High-Fat Diet
International Journal of Molecular Sciences (2016)
- This study focused on lipophilic versus polar extracts of S. nigra
- They used a diabetic rat model. 26 rats were divided into 4 groups.
- They found that the polar extract corrected hyperglycemia and the lipophilic extract lowered insulin secretion.
- There is a lot of detail on the specific methods to do the extractions.
- The statistics were not presented clearly and there was no correction for multiple testing. The small sample size may have resulted in reduced statistical power (ability to see differences), but the lack of multiple test correction may have inflated statistical significance. Thus, the validity of the findings in terms of their statistical rigor is difficult to evaluate.