Therapeutic Effect of Bilsaan, Sambucus nigra Stem Exudate, on the OVA-Induced Allergic Asthma in Mice
Oxid Med Cell Longev (2020).
- Asthma was induced in mice
- Cytokines were quantified in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from these mice after administration of Bilsaan (made from S. nigra). Researchers found that that was significantly lower levels of IL4, IL5, IL1β and IgE. IL4, IL5, and IL1β are all pro-inflammatory cytokines. IgE is an antibody that is usually present in increased levels in allergy and asthma (and is often analyzed as a biomarker in asthma studies).
- They also found that Bilsaan alleviated oxidative stress. Oxidative stress reflects an imbalance between the systemic manifestation of reactive oxygen species and a biological system’s ability to readily detoxify the reactive intermediates or to repair the resulting damage. This means that Bilsaan helped the mice balance their cellular responses to disease.
- They also observed decreased infiltration of inflammatory cells, thickening of the alveolar wall, and congestion in lung tissue, as well as decreased eosinophils. These asthma signs were alleviated by elderberry.
- All of these observations together demonstrate an anti-asthmatic effect of elderberry
Keywords: asthma, cytokines, inflammation