Effects of elderberry juice on fasting and postprandial serum lipids and low-density lipoprotein oxidation in healthy volunteers: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2004).
- This was a randomized control trial.
- Capsules with the equivalent of 5 ml elderberry were given daily over 2 weeks, compared to placebo. There were 17 individuals per group. A substudy compared to a single dose of 50 ml (only 6 individuals in this substudy).
- There was a small change in LDL levels in individuals in the treatment group, but it did not attain statistical significance.
- This suggests a minor effect on serum lipid levels.
- They observed no change in the high dose treatment but this likely due to small sample size.
- The paper says a power analysis was conducted, but the assumptions must not have been valid, because only 17 individuals per group is really too small to see an effect in a human study.