The Functional Medicine Approach to COVID-19: Virus-Specific Nutraceutical and Botanical Agents.
Integrative Medicine, 2020
- This review paper evaluated 12 botanicals and neutraceutical interventions as potential treatments for COVID-19. This paper synthesized the literature quite well.
- While some studies mentioned a potential cytokine storm that results from elderberry treatment, that same study group refuted that observation later on.
- Studies summarized show that elderberry favorably modulates cellular defenses and repair mechanisms, and also favorably modulates viral-induced pathological processes.
- Concludes that there is strong evidence that elderberry could be beneficial.
· Suggested dose of 500 mg po qd (once per day) (17% anthocyanins)